A dog that is vomiting or having diarrhea should not be given anything by mouth for 12-24 hours. When the vomiting has stopped, you can offer small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup). Pedialyte (an electrolyte solution for human babies) may also offered. Food is re-introduced slowly. Dr. Gary has recommended a “white diet” for your pet today.

This diet consists of a combination of:

  • Boiled hamburger or chicken
  • White rice, unseasoned mashed potatoes, plain yogurt and cottage cheese.
  • Rice and cottage cheese should make up at least 75% of the meal and meat should make up the remaining 25%.
  • Mix ingredients and feed 1/2 cup per 20# of body weight every 4 hours.
  • If vomiting continues, do not give anything by mouth for another 24 hours.

This diet should be fed 3-5 days and can be fed up to 2 weeks. Regular food should be mixed back in slowly to avoid stomach upset or diarrhea.